Join the global collaboration community of 26,725 professionals from business, government and civil society working together on the world’s most pressing challenges.
“Enfin!” French CEO’s might smile at the new Statement of the Purpose of the Corporation signed by 181 American CEOs. To them, the idea that a corporation must serve the interests of all stakeholders is part of “savoir vivre” in business. It is therefore perhaps not surprising that France is leading on Corporate Impact Venturing, the practice of investing in startups with a positive social impact.
Corporate Impact Venturing (CIV) is a relatively new approach, marrying classic Corporate Venturing with social entrepreneurship. It is particularly apt for venturing into low-income markets, as our recent report shows.
Oh la la! Many of the pioneers in CIV are French multinationals:
All funds also support their investees with technical assistance, often provided by employees of the firms. And even the third party funds supported by several actors, like the Livelihoods Funds, invest strategically along the value chains of participating firms.
Alors, why are the French so advanced in CIV? Of course, one explanation is the social fabric that has been woven since the revolution and that emphasizes employee rights and equal opportunity. Companies’ license to operate is based on this social contract. In addition, this perspective of the business role in serving all stakeholders is also embedded in the law.
For-profit companies with more than 50 employees must share some of their profits with their employees. Employees can either directly receive this extra remuneration in addition to their taxable income or place it in corporate savings funds and thereby benefit from a tax exemption on the investment. These funds, also known as 90/10 Solidarity funds, have to invest 5%-10% of total assets in social enterprises. The remaining 90%-95% is invested in traditional investments following Socially Responsible Investment principles. Engie and Schneider Electric both cited this law as an important driver for setting up their CIV funds and a key motivator for employees to engage more deeply in their CIV activities.
The 90/10 rule is a legal incentive worth copying. It drives long-term investment into next-generation business models that enable an inclusive transformation. Building our future systems requires capital as well as creative entrepreneurs and seasoned professionals. The French CIV Funds bring all of it together. On y va! Let’s do this everywhere!
This article was previously published on the Business Innovation Facility and is reproduced with permission
Why not join one of the many open collaboration Challenges we are running to address pressing global issues? Join your peers, share your passion and add your expertise!
Our Challenges are made possible thanks to our Supporters and Partners. If you'd be interested in supporting a current or new Challenge, please get in touch.Learn more