At Business Fights Poverty we aim to foster innovation through collaboration. For that to happen, we want to promote an open and positive environment where a diverse set of professionals can constructively share ideas and interact with their peers.
Participation in Business Fights Poverty is based on five core values and agreement to our terms and conditions:
New members are welcome to join what is a diverse, global, community of organisations and individuals working constructively to harness and scale the positive impact of business on people and planet. Our individual members include corporate executives, entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs, investors, donor agency staff, policy officials, non-government organisation staff, academics, students and many others who are just interested. Members are welcome to invite their friends and colleagues to join the network.
Our vision is of an active global community of pioneers pushing the boundaries of how business can fight poverty, empowered by the connections they make and ideas they generate here on Business Fights Poverty. We encourage members to actively connect with their peers, participate in online and in-person events, to share their knowledge and insights through articles.
We encourage positive and constructive discussion and debate. If any member (or non-member) feels that they have been subjected to defamatory, abusive, threatening or harassing behaviour, they should contact us immediately so that we can take appropriate action (which may include but is not limited to exclusion from the network). The same goes for any concerns about the content of viewpoints and material posted on the website.
Trust and honesty sit at the heart of the relationships on which the Business Fights Poverty community is based. Member profiles should contain information that is truthful. Members are asked not to upload or disseminate any files or content for which they do not own or control the intellectual property rights, except where they have received the necessary consents to do so. Where members wish to share files or links on Business Fights Poverty they should ensure prior to uploading them that they do not contain viruses or any other similar programmes that may damage the operation of another’s computer.
Agreement to Terms and Conditions
The Business Fights Poverty Website
Please note that use of the Website is at the sole risk of members and others who choose to access this Website (“you” / “your” / “User(s)”). By accessing, browsing and/or signing up as a member, you confirm that you have read and accept the Terms and agree to comply with them. If you do not accept the Terms in full, please do not use the Website.
On the Website, Users are invited to share their insights to help address specific challenges, structured programmes of analysis and knowledge sharing to address specific questions to harness or scale the positive impact of business on people and planet (“Challenges”). This may be in the form of Users publishing articles, posting comments in online discussions, participating in in-person events, or in other ways sharing their expertise.
You acknowledge that you will not be entitled to any payment or reward for contributing content to a Challenge. Challenges are funded by supporters. Supporters names and/or logos will be acknowledged on the Website.
Users will have the option to join a Challenge. By joining a Challenge, your email address and other data will be added to a Challenge-specific database and used to inform you of Challenge related opportunities to share your knowledge and participate in an event. You may also be added to a Challenge-specific database, based on interests stated in your profile, your contribution of a relevant article in the past or your participation in a relevant event in the past. This will be for the purpose of informing you of Challenge related opportunities to share your knowledge and participate in an event.
You will be notified that you have been added to the Challenge-specific database and you may opt out of the Challenge-specific database at any time via the following the link at the bottom of our email communications.
Where Users attend events, photos, audio or video may be recorded and used in a summary video for each Challenge. Where an event is being held in private, no audio will be included in any clips used in the final summary video.
Challenges will be identified and managed by Business Fights Poverty, its sub-contractors and/or its partners.
- Introduction and Other Applicable Terms
- We may revise the Terms at any time. Please check the Terms on this webpage from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are binding on you.
- We periodically add, change, improve, or update the materials on this Website without notice, and reserve our exclusive right in our sole discretion to alter, limit or discontinue the Website or any materials in any respect. Please note that we are under no obligation to keep the content up to date nor to ensure that it is free from errors or omissions.
- Your Access to our Website
- We shall not be liable if the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period. Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
- If you choose or are provided with a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you should treat such information as confidential and not disclose it to any third party.
- We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms.
- If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us here: http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs
- We reserve the right to deny in its sole discretion any User access to this Website or any portion thereof without notice.
- Intellectual Property Rights
- The visual interfaces, graphics, design, information and all other elements of the Website are protected by copyright and all other relevant intellectual property and proprietary rights, and applicable laws. Except for any content submitted by you and other Users, all content contained on the Website is the property of Business Fights Poverty (or our relevant content supplier) and is protected by copyright (as well as potentially other intellectual property rights) . All such rights are reserved.
- Users confirm that they own the intellectual property rights or have secured the necessary permissions to enable content they share as part of a Challenge to be used for the purposes set out in this agreement and that all such content is original.
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing, intellectual property rights in content shared by a User as part of a Challenge will remain with the original owner of the intellectual property, but the User shall grant a licence to Business Fights Poverty, on the terms set out in clause 3.5 below.
- The intellectual property rights of final Challenge outputs, such as, but not limited to reports, will belong solely to Business Fights Poverty. These outputs will be made available on the Website in accordance with clause 3.6 below. Users agree that Challenge outputs can draw on content and ideas shared by them during the course of the Challenge, or shared on the Website or at a Business Fights Poverty event.
- Unless otherwise agreed in writing, to the extent you hereby grant us a perpetual, non-revocable, royalty free, worldwide, exclusive licence to use, including the right to create derivative works and grant sub-licences of any content you share as part of a licence. We shall be free to copy, disclose, distribute, incorporate and otherwise use such material and all data, images, sounds, text and other things embodied therein for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. You unconditionally and irrevocably waive any moral rights in any content. However, wherever appropriate we shall attribute you as the author of any content created by you.
- We grant permission to Users to visit the Website and download and copy the materials from the Website for their personal, non-commercial use, without any right to resell, redistribute, compile or create derivative works there from and also subject to any more specific restrictions that may apply to specific materials on the Website. Users must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials they have printed off or downloaded in any way, and they must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of the content of any Challenge output must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our Website for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors (if required).
- If you print off, copy or download any part of our Website in breach of these Terms, your right to use our Website will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
- If you wish to link to any part of this Website, you must obtain our prior written consent.
- Visitor Material and Conduct
- You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from the Website any material:
- that is threatening, defamatory, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience;
- for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals;
- which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the rights of any third party in any country; and/or
- which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
- You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
- Nothing in these Terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, or our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by English law.
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our Website or any content on it, whether express or implied.
- We will not be liable to any User for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our Website; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our Website.
- If you are a business user, please note that we only provide the Website for domestic and private use. You agree not to use the Website for any commercial or business purposes, and we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- As a condition of use of the Website, Users agree to indemnify us and our affiliates, from and against any and all actions, claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of User’s use of this Website.
- The information, documents and materials on the Website are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
- The Website may contain advice, opinions, and statements of various content providers. We do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any content provider, or any User of the Website or other person or entity.
- Users of the Website specifically acknowledge and agree that we are not liable for any conduct of any other User.
- Third Party Websites
- We provide web links to third-party websites only as a convenience, and we do not check, endorse, approve or agree with such third party websites nor the products and/or services offered and sold on them. We have no responsibility for the content, products and/or services of the linked websites.
- Jurisdiction and Governing Law
- Unauthorised use of the Website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- If you are a consumer, please note that these Terms, its subject matter and its formation, are governed by English law. You and we both agree to that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction. However, if you are a resident of Northern Ireland, you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are a resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceeding in Scotland.
- If you are a business, these Terms, its subject matter and its formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law and you agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected and we will continue to comply with the provisions of the Data Protection Act (“DPA”) until 25 May 2018, after which we will comply with the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (“GDPR”) unless and until the GDPR is no longer directly applicable in the UK, together with any national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation as amended or updated from time to time in the UK, and any successor legislation to the GDPR and the DPA (together “Data Protection Legislation”). We are the data controller of data you pass to us pursuant to this policy.
- What information do we hold and how will we use it?
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us: You may give us information about you by completing enquiry forms on the Website or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. The information you give us may include your name, email address, address / location and phone number, topic preferences, Challenge preferences and event preferences. We will retain this information while we are corresponding with you.
- Information we collect about you: We may collect the following information from you when you visit our Website:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, Website errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information, methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer services number.
- We will retain your personal data for two years after you opt out of receiving broadcast messages. We will delete your personal data at the end of this period and not send you any further communications during this period, unless you have specified that you want to receive one-on-one communications from us. At any time, you can request that we remove your details from our database, via this online form – http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs – and we will do this without undue delay after receipt of your request.
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Use made of the information
- We may use the information we receive and/or collect about you to:
- fulfil our obligations under any contract we have entered into with you and to provide you with information, products and services you have requested;
- send you newsletters and marketing information if you have consented to us doing so;
- notify you of products and services we offer that are similar to those you have purchased or enquired about;
- notify you of other products and services we feel may interest you;
- notify you of changes to our services and products; and
- monitor Website usage and provide statistics to third parties for the purposes of improving and developing the Website and the services we provide via the Website.
- We process personal information for certain legitimate business purposes, which include some or all of the following:
- where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve the Website, our services and communications for the benefit of our customers;
- to identify and prevent fraud;
- to enhance the security of our network and information systems;
- to better understand how people interact with our websites;
- administer the Website and carry out data analysis, troubleshooting and testing; and
- to determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising.
- We may use the information we receive and/or collect about you to:
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure that we always keep your personal data rights in high regard and take account of these rights.
- You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal data at any time. If you would like to withdraw your consent, or prefer not to receive any of the above-mentioned information (or if you only want to receive certain information) from us please let us know by following the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our email communications or by contacting us via this online form: http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to carry out tasks above for your benefit.
- If you wish to have your information removed from our database or if you do not want us to contact you for marketing purposes, please let us know by clicking the “Unsubscribe” option in any email we send to you or by contacting us via this online form – http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs – and we will take steps to ensure that this information is deleted as soon as reasonably practicable.
- We will not share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us (other than as set out in this policy) without your prior consent, unless required to do so by law.
- How safe is your information?
- Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
- Protecting your security and privacy is important to us and we make every effort to secure your information and maintain your confidentiality in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Legislation. The Website is protected by various levels of security technology, which are designed to protect your information from any unauthorised or unlawful access, processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
- We will do our best to protect your personal data but the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Any such transmission is therefore at your own risk.
- Disclosure of your information
- Please note that we may need to disclose your personal information where we:
- sell any or all of our business or assets or we buy another business or assets in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer or seller;
- are under a legal duty to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions; or
- need to disclose it to protect our rights, property or safety of our customers or others, including the exchange for information with other companies, organisations and/or governmental bodies for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Please note that we may need to disclose your personal information where we:
- Your rights in respect of your data
- If any of the information you provide to us changes, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make the necessary changes to the information we hold for you on our database. If you wish to make any changes to your information, please contact us via the following online form: http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs.
- If you wish to see the information we hold on you, or request that such information be transmitted directly to another data controller, please contact us via the following online form: http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs. We shall process your request to access your information and provide this information to you free of charge.
- To request that your information is deleted or if you wish to restrict / object to the processing of your information, please contact us via the following online form: http://snipbfp.org/BFP_ContactUs.
- If you have any complaints about our use of your personal data, please contact us. You may also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
- You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
|Username||Your user name||This cookie is essential for our site to recognise you when you return to our site.||WordPress Cookies|
|Password||A double-hashed copy of your password||This cookie is essential for our site to recognise you when you return to our site.||WordPress Cookies|
|wordpress_[hash]||Authentication Details||This cookie is essential for our site to recognise you when you return to our site.||WordPress Cookies|
|wordpress_logged_in_[hash]||Authentication Details||This cookie is essential for our site to recognise you when you return to our site.||WordPress Cookies|
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including “strictly necessary” cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our Website.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire two weeks from the time they are set. .
If the User is dissatisfied with any material on this Website or disagrees with Values or terms and conditions as set out above, the User’s sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using this Website.
If you are under 13 years of age do not further access this Website without the permission and supervision of your parents or legal guardians.
By accessing the Website or by participating in any Challenges, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our terms and conditions and agree that they form a binding legal agreement between you and Business Fights Poverty, and you agree to be bound by this agreement.
© 2018 Business Fights Poverty. All rights reserved. The Business Fights Poverty logo is a trademark. Other marks on the Website may be trademarks or registered trademarks. Business Fights Poverty is a trading name of Inspiris Limited.